It is a type of backward bending asana. It helps stretch your abdomen, thorax, thigh, ankles, throat and groin.
How to do camel pose (ustrasana)
- Kneel on the yoga mat and place your hands on the hips.
- Your knees should be in line with the shoulders and the sole of your feet should be facing the ceiling.
- As you inhale, draw in your tail-bone towards the pubis as if being pulled from the navel.
- Simultaneously, arch your back and slide your palms over your feet till the arms are straight.
- Do not strain or flex your neck but keep it in a neutral position.
- Stay in this posture for a couple of breaths.
- Breathe out and slowly come back to the initial pose. Withdraw your hands and bring them back to your hips as you straighten up.
Benefits of the Camel Pose (Ustrasana)
- Improves digestion
- Stretches and opens the front of the body. It also strengthens the back and shoulders
- Relieves the body of lower back ache
- Improves flexibility of the spine and also improves posture
- Helps overcome menstrual discomfort
Contraindications of the Camel Pose (ustrasana)
Back injury or neck injury, high or low blood pressure: Perform this pose only with the supervision of an experienced teacher.